Thursday, October 17, 2013

Las Vegas: Day 2

Hey all!  Stephanie here again with Day 2 of my Vegas shenanigans!  If you missed the first post, check it out here.

The tl;dr version of today's post is that I'm kind of a loser.  

Las Vegas: Day 2

Let me tell you about all of the things I should've spent my day doing, and then I'll tell you what I ended up doing.  

I had planned on going out exploring the many sights in Las Vegas - going to the top of the Eiffel tower, riding the roller coaster at New York New York, checking out the Red Square at Mandalay Bay, shopping at Ross Vegas, etc.  Once done with that, I was going to head over to the convention center for giveaways for the last hour or so, and then go catch a few more shows and explore some more.

None of that actually happened though....my day went as follows:

Woke up early, only to get up for half an hour and fall back asleep for another two hours.  When I woke up, I started on the blog for Day 1 and it took an excruciatingly long time to finish.  Once I was done with that, I proceeded to take a shower.  By the time I got out and dressed, it was already 1pm.  I popped across the street to meet the boss-lady for lunch (which, by the way, we snagged for free!)  We had the pleasure of eating our boxed lunches whilst watching gondolas glide on the indoor canal system within the Venetian hotel. 

They sang in Italian too!


Once we were done with lunch, we made our way to the expo floor, and then I panicked.  


I had a "holy shit what do I even do here?" moment.  It soon became a "holy shit why am I even here?" moment when I realized that I left my business cards in the hotel room by mistake.  D'oh.  This was the end-of-game boss-fight of event expo's and I'm a level 0 commoner surrounded by level 30 dragons in disguise. 

 I had a very brief walk-around with boss-lady which then led me to believe that this room stretched on forever.  Of the 2.25 million square feet in the convention center, they're using about half of it.  We eventually made our way back to the SF Travel booth where boss-lady was stationed, and I met a few people from various hotels and tourism companies.  I had to leave pretty soon after though; all of the people and the noise and my inexperience with trade shows came crashing down and I was on the precipice of a panic attack.  

I made my way to Walgreens next door, hoping that shopping for small gifts and buying some snack food would help keep my mind preoccupied.  Turns out that everyone and their mothers decided to hang out at Walgreens and buy souvenirs too, so my claustrophobia kicked in when I was surrounded on all sides in a tiny aisle that was impossible to maneuver out of.  
Cost for this particular Walgreens trip was about $42.  Great...(not)

After that, I proceeded back to the hotel room to recover and watch funny youtube videos in an attempt to pull myself together. 

Pewdiepie is playing through Beyond: Two Souls right now.  All the feels.  
Also, that gif about sums up what I felt internally towards my afternoon.

Boss-lady soon informs me that she's bought tickets for the Cirque du Soleil show at Treasure Island for us.  
Ticket cost: $68.  

She also informs me that we have dinner reservations with other people from the SF Travel booth at a Mexican restaurant down the street.  Food was good, and I bought the cheapest items on the menu, but when the bill came it was decided that we'd split it 5 ways instead of paying individually.  


Dinner cost: $32
My dinners worth: $18 );

After dinner was done, we had about half an hour before seating began for the Cirque show.  Boss-lady, boat-girl and I went back up to our rooms to freshen up before the show, and then came back down promptly at 9pm when theater doors opened.


The Cirque du Soleil show was definitely the highlight of my day.  I had only ever seen it on television, but there's SO MUCH other stuff happening simultaneously it's almost a crime to try and televise it.  Turns out that the show that we saw, Mystere, has been playing at TI for over 15 years now.  The usher we spoke with said that he got tired of the show pretty quick (hour and a half shows, 10 times a week for 15 years and he has worked nearly all of them), but it didn't mean that the show was any less amazing for me. 

Following Cirque, we saw a....potentially NSFW show?  The Sirens of TI show takes place outside of the hotel, and it's free.  After a few wind warnings, they finally started.  Lip syncing and inappropriate jokes galore.  (The lady-captain? of the sirens started off with "if any seamen dare enter my cove....", I shit you not.)  It was a free show, so I'm not complaining so much as I am laughing/crying over it.  

Once that train wreck was done, we went back to our rooms...and here I am now writing this blog at 2am.  

Money breakdown:
Breakfast: free (leftovers)
Lunch: free (boxed lunch)
Walgreens: $42
Dinner: $32
Entertainment: $68
Total damage: $142.  


Better luck tomorrow I suppose :/

No comments:

Post a Comment