Machinima had a huge press conference today, announcing a vast lineup of new shows for their channel. The channel, which began as a humble Youtube channel but became the digital arm of Warner Bros. Entertainment, has had massive success in the past with their Mortal Kombat Legacy web series, and is now the ninth largest video destination in the US.
They've got some huge names - Bruce Timm, Bob Orci - and some really interesting ideas coming up, including a Robocop TV series based on the original film continuity, and a reality show giving contestants the chance to create a short Starman film. See the full slate after the jump:
- Justice League: Gods and Monsters Chronicles from producer and animator Bruce Timm (“Batman: The Animated Series,” “Superman: The Animated Series”), which turns theDC Comics universe upside-down: Superman is not the son of Jor-El but is the the son of General Zod; Wonder Woman is not from peaceful Themyscira, but rather the warring nation of Ares; and Batman is more vampire-bat than man;
- RoboCop: “Dead or alive, you’re coming with me.” OCP’s Security Concepts Division’s RoboCop program is back in an all-new, short-form limited web series, based on Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer’s 1987 classic action film. RoboCop returns to Delta City where viewers ride along with the now standard-issue RoboCop officers as they respond to calls from dispatch. Tapping into current themes of the surveillance state, the series is shot from the first person point of view of the RoboCop officers’ heads up display, along with security cameras, dash-cams, and drones.
- A currently untitled reality competition from Machinima, Blue Ribbon Content and DC Entertainment pitting eight contestants in elimination challenges to develop a live-action short video based on their own interpretations of characters from DC Comics’ Starman comic book series. Well-known guest judges and celebrity special guests will join bestselling writer and DC Entertainment Chief Creative Officer Geoff Johns and a panel of esteemed judges to oversee the entire competition;
- #4Hero: A modern adaptation of DC Comics’ cult-favorite “Dial H For Hero,” live-action, VFX-heavy action-comedy series is about a young woman named Nellie Tribble who is quietly desperate to make her mark on the world, but wholly unprepared to do so;
- Clive Barker’s Creepy Pasta: Barker steps away from the creatures of his own imagination and enters the world of Internet horror fan fiction, affectionately known as Creepy Pasta. Starting with viral urban legends (e.g. Jeff the Killer, Slender Man and Ben Drowned), Clive Barker’s Creepy Pasta is an original series of live-action, blood-curdling short films. These new tales will be curated and adapted by Barker from submissions obtained through the creepypasta community, and produced by Machinima to scare you to your core.
- Happy Wheels: “Choose your inadequately prepared racer, and ignore severe consequences in your desperate search for victory!” Machinima will bring audiences an all-new original animated series based on Jim Bonacci’s hit online game Happy Wheels and produced by BMP Digital, the digital division of Bunim/Murray Productions (‘The Real World’, ‘Keeping Up With The Kardashians’). This must-see 10-episode short form series, which will feature fan-favorites such as Wheelchair Guy, Irresponsible Dad and Lawnmower Man, will expand upon the game that has more than 8 million players a month and showcase its notorious dark humor and penchant for blood and gore. Additionally, with over 3.1 billion video views amassed, BMP Digital is looking to leverage the voiceover talents of YouTube influencers such as Toby Turner (15.2M YouTube Subscribers, Cartoon Network’s The High Fructose Adventures of Annoying Orange) and others who have made this game so iconic.
- Jerome ASF’s The Baka Chronicles: Adding to the gaming fervor, Machinima’s iconic Minecrafter Jerome ASF (3.6M YouTube Subscribers), will be teaming with N00b Adventure creator Jim Schwerfeger for an all-new series – The Baka Chronicles. Featuring Jerome ASF’s most beloved character, Baka, the series follows two unlikely server admins who problem-solve the hilarious antics of griefers, trolls, and kids who wreak havoc across their favorite multiplayer Minecraft server. Little do our heroes realize this job is a massive headache.
- High School 51: Created and produced by Roberto Orci (Transformers, Amazing Spider-Man 2, Star Trek, Sleepy Hollow, Lost, Fringe) and Legion of Creatives, and starring Orlando Jones (Sleepy Hollow, Tainted Love, Drumline, MADtv), High School 51 is as out of this world as the name implies. Hidden away in the heart of Area 51, Dream Lake High School is filled with mind-blowing technology, top-secret government programs and a student body that is cool, quirky, attractive, and…well, alien. No one from the outside has ever been allowed into the school and no human has ever attended…until now. For 16-year old Alex Valencia, the first and only human ever to attend Dream Lake, high school is going to be tough. Fitting in will be one thing but his biggest challenge just might be saving the human race.
h/t to Aggressive Comix